Friday, November 23, 2012

That for which I am thankful

Well, yesterday I had the day off but I was too busy not having Thanksgiving to write a Thanksgiving post, so I shall do it a day late.

At various times during college I spent time with the homeless and noticed an often common thread which ran among them is that they did not have a social network, they did not have a safety net made up of friendly arms to fall into when they had fallen lowest. They did not have any lights left on for them or loving faces who would welcome them in, even if and when their own faces were filled with shame or their pockets were empty. I know I not only have family who would (and has) taken me in when I need a place to stay, but also that I have friends in many places who would (and have) take me in as well. I know I not only have people who would take me in, but also have so many people who love me enough that they would come looking for me, if I began to “fall through the cracks.” So to those who love me, family, camp friends, college friends, AmeriCorps friends, and random friends I have gained along the way, thank you for your love and I am thankful for you.

I am thankful for my parents. Who encourage me and pray for me. Who manage, somehow, to stay supportive of me and what I do, even though I have no idea what I'm doing and have a long way to go before I have it all figured out.

I am thankful I live with my brother and near my sister and brother-in-law. Also, that I have another sister, brother-in-law, and nieces who, I am sure, would like for me to live near them, as well.

I am thankful I have a brother, who, though he is younger than me, is willing to let me “mooch” off of him while I have been looking for a job. I am thankful that he is pretty easy to live with and that, from books and tv to hiking, we have common interests.

I am thankful for my job...even if it is just part-time and not really what I want to do.

I am thankful for hot water; for warming showers; good smelling soap; the ability to feel temperature and so many other things. I am happy I am able to smell Fall, baking banana bread, and Arnold Promise Witch Hazel (and other flowers, too). I am thankful I can see Autumn and its changing colors; hear the wind rustling the leaves outside my apartment and the music playing on the internet. I appreciate the leftovers I will be able to taste tomorrow and that I can sample things while I'm cooking.

I am thankful for books, libraries, the great outdoors, cozy blankets, entertaining movies, and photography.

I am thankful for the possibility to rekindle friendships and for the ability to make new ones. Along this vein, I am most thankful for our ability to make friendships, to form bonds, and to love.

I am thankful for my imagination, for intuition, for dreams, and hopes, and prayers. I am thankful for my potential and that God is not through with me yet. I am thankful for the Grand Love Story we are all caught up in and that the plot is so complex and simple that we have no idea why things happen the way they do. I am thankful I will one Day be able to read the Story in its entirety so I will understand.

Though I am sometimes tired, frustrated, and confused; I am thankful I am alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment