Sunday, December 22, 2013

Cha-Cha-Changes or What's New in the Life of Me

I got unconditional admittance to Appalachian State's Master of Library Science distance learning program (a fancy name for on-line classes) and will be starting classes in January. I got a transfer of departments/promotion at work. I am now a sales coordinator for Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn Wilkesboro (they're both owned by a hospitality company named Spectrum Hospitality Management), which means I have my first ever office job and first salary job. Okay, it's only half office work (which I am happy about) and the rest is setting up the conference rooms for meetings, parties, and events and then making sure the people are happy with everything.

The MLS program is only regionally accredited, which means I can only get a job in NC or VA, so for the foreseeable future I'm going to be within this general area (yes, for me “general area” means anywhere within two states). Maybe the far Northeast will have to wait for retirement or maybe after a few years of experience some small-town library up there won't care about the regionally accredited thing.

Between work and the MLS program, I have the feeling I'm not going to have much of a social life for the next two years...which I don't really have one now, so it won't be much of a change. :)

I have about 20 pages of a middle school/young adult story written and a couple pages of some other stories started. I'm hoping to set a few hours aside each week to write when I get my own apartment. No, you can't read them yet. Stephen King told me you have to wait until the first draft is done and I agree with him (I read a memoir by him about writing). Feel free to try to pressure me to write and maybe I will.

Oh, and I got married and have 5 kids. I know, it was a surprise to me too. Drank too much chocolate milk one night and that's what happened. Perhaps that last sentence isn't true, but I did get a plant and named her Cordelia. She's quite pretty.

I hope all of you are well. I hope your new year is filled with hope, with challenges and triumphs, adventures and cozy moments, with acknowledgments of simple joys, and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment