Tuesday, November 5, 2013

My Response to “Marriage Isn't For You”

I'll freely admit, I've always been a hopeless romantic, just ask the girls I wrote poems and letters to oh so long ago. The first time I read the Marriage Isn't For You post, I read through it with a smile on my face, but then before I hit the “share” button, I thought about it some and read it again. After reading through it again something didn't sit just right with me, but I didn't realize what it was until I had read through a bunch of the comments (I don't recommend reading through the comments of anything that has gone viral, it can make you start questioning the sanity and decency of humanity).

All one comment said was, “Marriage is for God,” yeah, this is true, but without expounding, no one knows what the crap you're talking about. Another comment was fairly long but they wrapped it by saying, “God is happiest when we are happiest.” And that caused me to realize what didn't feel right about the post, my “hang-up” word was “happy.”

I went to the Bible to try and learn God's purpose for marriage and, if you simply read Paul's reasons, it's actually a little depressing for a hopeless romantic. Basically, Paul encourages people to stay single, but if they can't control their “passions,” they should marry as a way of having a righteous way of dealing with sexual urges. Well, that's not very romantic and if that's the only reason someone is marrying me, then I think I'll pass. So I went back further, to the verses where God talks about creating Eve. God said “it is not good that the man should be alone” so he paraded every creature in front of Adam that he might name them; even after that, God didn't think their was anything suitable to be a companion for man, to be his “helper” (which the word “helper” here is used elsewhere as a term referring to God as our helper, it is a term of honor). A cat or dog wouldn't do away with man's being alone; even though God walked in the garden with Adam, that didn't take care of Adam being “alone.” So God created Eve to be his companion and to chase away his loneliness.

I think God creates some people with a longing for companionship (an aspect of this being physical intimacy) which cannot be fully filled, while in this flesh, by God or anything else. Maybe it is a weakness, maybe it is better to stay single, if you can, so you can more fully devote yourself to God; but God has his writers again and again compare the relationship between Christ and those he has saved to the marriage relationship. In other words, God thinks marriage is something beautiful that can exemplify aspects of Christ's love as no other thing can.

Why did I get hung-up on the word “happy?” Because I don't think it dives deep enough. First I'll say, maybe the author of the post did intend a deeper meaning, but the commenter I spoke of did not. I'm not sure where and when this idea that what God wants most for us is for us to be happy slipped in, but it's wrong. Christ promised us peace and joy, but he also promised trials and persecutions to those that would follow him.

This next thought was influenced by C.S. Lewis and one of my Bible professors in college, but I think it is also implied in the Bible, “Count it all joy, my brothers and sisters, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete...” James 1:4. The idea is that this world is a schoolroom in which our souls are shaped into beings better suited to heaven, better suited to see God and praise him. C.S. Lewis and many others think suffering is one of God's greatest tools in this shaping (that's not to say he is always the cause of the suffering, only that he uses it).

In one of those poems I wrote when I was young, I spoke about wanting to shield the girl from all pain but of also wanting her to grow, so instead of promising to shield her (which is an impossible promise anyway), I promised to be with her through her pain, to walk beside her.

So why do I think we should marry? To fulfill a longing only another human can fill, and to fill that longing in them. To paint a picture to the world of what Christ's love for his church is. An addition to this painting can be made through having children and your love relationship with them, but if you can't/don't have kids, just focus on making your painting the most beautiful it can be.

Through all of our experiences I think we have the potential to learn aspects of God we could otherwise not learn, that we will one day share with one another once at our heavenly home. If you stay single and Christ is your sole lover, you will learn aspects a married person will not learn. If you marry, through that relationship, you will learn aspects of God's love you would learn no other way. Through having children, you would learn other things. And on and on, in all parts of our life.

So, I'm sorry, dear, wherever and whomever you are, but my primary goal is not to make you happy. A teacher once shared with me that when Paul said,”Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her...” what he was saying is that I should live and love towards you in such a way that will make you whole and perfect, so that your soul is better suited to heaven, so that by the time I'm done loving you on this earth, you will be an even more beautiful bride for Christ. My primary goal is to walk beside you, whatever emotions you are feeling, no matter how dark the trial is. I cannot and will not shield you from all pain, but I will experience it with you, try to see the light in the darkness with you, even if it takes years and years and even if we still have to search for it in heaven. I hope we laugh a lot with each other, cause joy to spill from one another's hearts and faces. I will try to love you in such way that makes you more beautiful than you are, more ready for heaven. I hope you will do the same for me.

All that to say, marriage is a tiny bit for me, a little bit for being a light to the world, mostly for you, and all for God.

9 comments:

  1. That was the best thing I have read in a long time! I am a practicing Buddhist and I feel the same way about marriage... but you expressed it in a way that really touched my heart. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad I spoke to your heart though we come from different perspectives.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your heart so eloquently! After almost 35 years of marriage I must say I agree with what you wrote here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (I always feel badly for people who go viral without intending to. Based on the author's background, I can only assume (like you) that his post was only a shallow explanation of his deeper understanding of marriage. I cringe to think at the response if any of my written-in-the-moment posts went viral. Ugh.)

    My husband and I discussed the article at length, and came down to one thought that I think echoes yours:

    Marriage is about unitedly striving toward the ultimate goal(s).

    So simple an idea, but sadly one that is fading. We have watched (a far higher percentage than I thought possible of) our friends' marriages disintegrate because this thought wasn't part of the marriage foundation. I personally place the sole idea that marriage is about making my spouse happy in line with the sole idea that marriage is about making me happy. Marriage is far deeper than "happiness," as you stated.

    Marriage is about unitedly striving toward the ultimate goal(s). We chose this phrasing as it encompasses innumerable important facets of life. As Christians, our greatest goal is to know and share the love of Christ (with each other, with our family, with everyone we meet). As parents, our goal is to help our children realize their potential (again, encompassing myriad aspects of who they are). As lovers, our goal is to deeply and perfectly love each other.

    Can happiness come into play? Absolutely. (I enjoyed your look at Paul... As a teen, I held a lot of resentment toward him for his flat statements on marriage.) But, contrary to popular belief, happiness is not the most important part of life.

    (I wrote this as I was thinking about it at 6 in the morning. Here's crossing our fingers that it doesn't get picked up by the networks. [smile])

    (*Note: Like you, anything I write should be taken with the understanding that I follow Christ.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, I incorrectly assumed, based on the fact that he has 30 thousand twitter followers, that he wrote knowing it would be for a large audience. Based the number of comments on his other posts, I guess he gained all those followers as a result of his marriage post. Also, thank you for your thoughtful comment. I liked your perspective and think it would be okay if it was picked up by the networks. :)

      Delete
  4. What an interesting response to that article. I found this as a result of another blog I was reading and then remembered reading the article about which this blog is written.
    I originally didn't find fault with the article, but in thinking on it a little more, I think it's because I filled the "gaps" with my own beliefs about marriage, etc., and it worked well.
    But, I will say I also didn't enjoy all the "happiness" rooted in it. In fact, I find that too many in Christian and non-Christian circles, seek too much of that in their relationships, or at the very least use that as a gauge by which to judge a relationship's health.
    Now, don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy (ha!) to be "happy" in a relationship, but it's at its best only an emotion. Emotions, I believe, are meant to be indicators of truths, but not to be truths unto themselves. They're fickle; so to say "I'm happy" is certainly no indicator that it will continue.
    I've found that I'd rather use Biblical truths as the basis for my expectations for relationships (platonic and otherwise), so that when one or both of us aren't "feeling" it, it's not doomed.

    Anyway, good point to Sara above, too. My rushed and simple thoughts introduced here will certainly have holes and opportunity for misinterpretation, so I too, would prefer this not make it onto the "networks!"

    In general, I found the original blog to eloquently describe a note-worthy picture of marriage, of love, of preferring another above your own self. Even with a few holes, my hope is that it did more good to the "fringe" group that may have read it now as a result of it's popularity.

    I've never seen your page before and generally know nothing of you, and randomly commenting on a stranger's blog isn't my style either...but for some reason, I felt compelled to comment. Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Emotions, I believe, are meant to be indicators of truths, but not to be truths unto themselves." I love this.

      Delete
  5. I agree with your response to this post. As a disclaimer, I am always a tad leery of anything that goes viral. I agree with the original poster that marriage is not to make us happy, but don't totally agree that it is to make the other person happy. The author stated "It's about the person you love--their wants, their needs, their hopes, and their dreams" which sounds great but in reality could potentially lead to coddling your spouse. Just as a child should not always get everything they want, neither should an adult. That mentality mimics the "Prosperity Gospel;" an ideal that is rejected by God and only leads to self destruction and immature/feeble faith. I know I am doing a poor job of explaining myself....I do think we sacrifice and serve the other person as long as our actions are building them up and helping them become more Christ-like....not so we can destroy ourselves in meeting the unrealistic expectations of another person.

    ReplyDelete