Sunday, September 15, 2013

Some Things You May Not Have Known About Introverts

First thoughts, I seem to be seeing a lot of articles and things about understanding introverts, but I haven't seen many recently about understanding extroverts. Is this because extroverts verbally explain to us introverts how to understand them or is it because many introverts enjoy writing, are introspective, and, thus, like to share our quiet inner workings? Maybe a combination of both and other things.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and share some of the inner workings of my head. I do this because, I think, the things I will share can be related to many introverts...or maybe I'm the oddball out and am just laying my oddities out on a line. If you're an introvert and can relate, back me up. Thanks.

A lot of the articles talk about how introverts are more easily simulated, respond more aggressively to outside stimuli and environments; in certain areas of my life I can very much see how this is true. If I'm in a crowded room with a lot of people talking, my brain tries to listen to multiple conversations at a time, I have a hard time focusing in on one (especially if I am not actively engaged in one of the conversations). After a while, my head just gets a little overwhelmed. Now, this is not to say I don't like being in big crowds (for a little while), I enjoy going to downtown fireworks, parades, and theme parks. I think this is because I like to people watch and there's so many people the “many conversations” kind of get drowned out into background noise. In general, when in groups, introverts like to be observers (aka Wallflowers); perhaps this is one reason we need to recharge after being around people, our brain isn't just processing one conversation, but trying to process many.

Along with this, if I'm sitting in a small room with multiple conversations going on, just because I'm sitting in your little group, doesn't mean I'm focusing on your conversation. I said I have a hard time focusing, but if there's a conversation across the room that I find more interesting, I'm actually pretty good at tuning your group out and listening to that other conversation. Some may consider this “eavesdropping,” but most of the time I wouldn't and the reason may be because the next thing I'm going to share (and the fact that they're talking in a room with other people).

If I'm in a group that is talking, looking at the different people who are speaking and sometimes making eye contact with them, I feel like I'm a part of the conversation, even if I don't actually say anything. A part of this is that I don't like to interrupt (and if it's a group, there's always someone talking). Another reason is, I figure someone will eventually say what I thought of saying, even if it is two minutes later. If you question whether or not I'm actually a part of the conversation, well, I can tell you I've probably heard more of what everybody has said than the people who are are doing most of the talking (unless I'm listening to a conversation 10 feet behind us). A possible slightly embarrassing side effect of actually listening to another conversation than you're in? You laugh at a seemingly inappropriate time. :)

A lot of people assume introverts are shy because we don't often talk to strangers (or even acquaintances), it not that I'm shy, oftentimes I honestly just don't want to talk or feel the need to talk. Actually, if it's a group setting, I may not even really talk to my close friends. I do try to smile at people to let them know I'm not being cold. A common theme running through things I've read about introverts is that we're not a fan of small talk and, well, I think that's true. That's not to say I won't exchange pleasantries, I do out of politeness, but it so often feels insubstantial. Also, I feel the need to clarify. I don't mind “one time” small talk with strangers, like if I'm volunteering at the library, working in a store, or addressed to the cashier checking me out, that's what is expected and to do more would be a little strange; it's when I've already seen you two times today and I know we're not actually going to have a conversation, it's literally quite painful to say “what's up?” or have it said to me yet again...I would rather us not say anything.

Lastly, kind of going along with the previous paragraph, I don't like to compete for people's attention. That's one reason I don't talk much in groups, that's the reason I like to go on hikes with friends (preferably outside of cell reception), try to set up outings with 1 or 2 people, and enjoy meeting people at quiet coffee shops. Basically, I'm selfish and, if I'm going to spend time with you, I don't want to share you with too many people or things at once. :) Maybe this is the reason that, in college, generally I didn't become friends with peer groups, but rather collected people from groups and would hang out with them one on one or two or three. A lot of my friends weren't really friends and I wasn't really friends with their friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment